Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Favorite Things

I am the CTR 6 teacher in my ward and I have such a cute little class. Four boys and only one girl. They keep me pretty entertained with their observations about people and church. Last week, after our primary program in Sacrement Meeting, I asked my class what they did during the week and what their favorite thing was. I got some very random answers (what did you expect-they're six!): "eating dinner", "playing video games", "going to school", "getting dressed" (?), yada yada yada. So funny!
It made me start thinking of some of my favorite things and I thought I would share them with you!
1. Family, my husband and my girls-nothing tops them. I love my family and Eric's family very much. I have always considered myself a very fortunate girl to have such an awesome family and sisters and to have married into such an awesome family as well. That's not too common and it's nice to have support and love on both sides.

2. The Temple-There is nowhere else on this earth that brings more peace and clarity to my life than within the walls of those sacred buildings. I don't get there as often as I would like, but it makes me all the more grateful for the times that I do go.

3.Disneyland-if you know me at all, this will come as no surprise. I have been in love with all things Disney since I was little and it just increases as I get older and share it with my girls.

4. Cruises-I totally love them. I have my in-laws to thank for that. They gave us a cruise as a Christmas gift one year and ever since then Eric and I have been completely hooked. Woo hoo.

5.Drawing/Singing-these two are a definite tie. I love them both equally and they are often done at the same time (ask my parents if you don't believe me-they endured countless hours of listening to my voice from the confines of my bedroom as I drew).

6. Makeup-I think I was born with a mascara wand in my hand. I love it. It's never a bad day when your makeup is rockin'! My favorite part of makeup is doing it on others. Luckily, I get the opportunity to do that more and more lately as a side business and it's awesome!

7. Musicals-bring on the theater! This would also include dance, plays, etc. They're so much fun to watch and it is so entertaining. Now, Eric does not share my affinity for this, but he has been known to enjoy himself at several of these kinds of outings and I'm glad he's willing to go with me once in a while (he even admits he enjoyed Phantom of the Opera).

8. Books-I love to read. I don't get as many opportunities to read since I've had my girls, as they keep me running, but when I do get to enjoy a book it makes me happy. I am reading "The Peacegiver" right now-totally recommend it!

9.Camping-Eric and I both love this. I have to thank my parents for instilling this love in me. Some of my favorite memories growing up are from the trips we took to Yellowstone National Park with all of my Dad's family. All the cousins used to have a great time making up plays, visiting the "hot pots", singing "Annie" show tunes for countless hours and going to the General Store. I miss my cousin Natalie singing some random song about fried ham (I don't remember how it goes, but it's pretty funny). I hope to take my girls and Eric up there someday soon. Eric hasn't been there yet and there is so much to see and do that I think he'll fall instantly in love with it.

10. Holidays-Especially Halloween. I enjoy any excuse to spend time with Eric's or my family (holiday or not). I truly enjoy being around both families and so I never look at it as a burden to go and socialize. Holidays just give me one more reason to do so. I don't particularly care so much for the holiday itself (unless it's Halloween), it's just the vehicle I use to be able to see family.

So, in the end I guess I've come full circle. The most precious things in my life begin and end with family. Love you all!

3 comments:

Darby said...

"Your makeup is rockin'!!" I love that line. It's right up there with "Twins, look at those boots! Those boots are kickin'!" I think Eric will love Yellowstone. I still can't believe he's never been. I loved the family camping trips and the plays we would put on for the fam. At least we had fun up there. Maybe your next camping trip should be up there, and if you needed someone to go with you, I would totally go with you (wink, wink).

Melissa said...

You bet your booty you'd be going with us! Campin' is better when you're around to play all the card games with. And let's not forget Yahtzee! Woo hoo!

Natalie said...

Melissa,
I loved camping in Yellowstone too. I always think of Grandpa and the fun we had.
Love,
Nat