Monday, November 17, 2008

The Proposition 8 Debate

While I usually reserve the more political side of my nature for my very closest family members, I think that it's important for my children (who will one day read this blog) to know exactly what their mother stood for.
There has been a lot of discussion about Proposition 8 over the course of the last few weeks and there have been a lot of members who aren't quite sure where they stand on the issue because they may know someone or have a family member who is gay.
For me, the issue is simple: The Lord has condemned it and the church stands as a witness for the Lord. I know and have several friends who are gay. While I respect them for the person they are, I cannot condone their behavior. I don't shun them or judge them for it, but I will not stand up for that lifestyle either. Marriage is a CHOICE not a RIGHT.

Proposition 8 isn't about hate or intolerance or bigotry. It's about protecting and preserving the family, which is under constant attack. I've watched with amusement, plenty of protesters on television who believe the LDS church was to blame in the passage of Prop. 8, and while they were a big contribution to aid that effort, I can't help but wonder when they'll realize that it's not the Church's will that was victorious-it was the LORD's.
And as for me and my family, the Lord's side is the only side we're interested in.

1 comments:

The Reno Donnelly's said...

You go. I'm so tired of all these people on tv talking about their rights. What if a twelve year old wants to get married, is that their right?